Thursday, September 18, 2008

I promised I'd do my homework right after I updated, but then I started procrastinating updating the blog!

Right so it's been crazy. I've been catching up on sleep any spare moment I could grab, since I was exhausted after frisbee practice on Tuesday. I'm still stretching whenever I get up from sitting down, and I still forget that my legs can't do full ranges of motion on things like stairs.

Today was quite nice. Aside from thinking it was Friday all morning, classes were alright. I had my last France Contemporaine with hot lady teacher and Phonetics (though I'm going to continue taking it next semester). Afterward, since I didn't want to see the informational session on internships, Abby, Hannah, Rachel, and I went shopping! First, we went to Bagels and Brownies (I shit you not) to get... well, I did get a bagel and a brownie! I got the "San Francisco", I think, which was swiss cheese, tomatoes, avocadoes, and lettuce. Mmmm.

We stopped at this chic boutique, and then moseyed our way over to the 3 for 10 euro scarf place that Rachel knew. Abby and I looked at scarves, but we only wanted one each. A French woman came over to the rack and asked if we spoke French. We said yes, and she told us that if we bought 3, if would be cheaper. I told her that we knew, but that we only wanted one scarf each. Abby and I both assumed that she just meant that we should find someone to get a third scarf, but she picked out a brown one that she liked. She checked it out for a couple seconds to make sure that was the one she wanted, and then she decidedly gestured for us to hand over our scarves.

She went up to the register and bought the three scarves. Abby and I hung back, since we wanted to be discreet. The woman finished her purchase and took us to the corner of the store. She gave us the scarves, and we gave her the money. Unfortunately, I didn't have the change for 3.50, so I gave her 4.00. She asked if I had the change, and I said no, but that it wasn't important. She replied, shocked, that it was important! We had made a good deal! So she scrounged in her change purse for the 50 centimes and handed them over. It was so sweet of her.

Then we went to H&M. Again. I swear, H&M has at least of my allotted lunch money for two months right now. I bought 2 cute shirts and stockings that I desperately needed.

Things that I still need to buy:
- lotion
- heels
- boots
- pants
- tissues
- ukulele

Afterward, I came home to rest for a bit. I sent out some mail that I'd been meaning to send when I walked the wrong way down the street and found a post office. It was so nice out this afternoon! I came into the apartment, and the woman who does the ironing was there. I said hi, and we talked for a little bit. She told me that she'd been working for the family for 13 years and had done all the cleaning before. Now, she just does the ironing once a week. She is super-duper sweet and very smiley. However, I do not know her name. I do know that her daughter's name is Myriam, though.

Then, I left to meet Hannah at Reid Hall to go out with her boy. We waited for awhile, and the boy was nowhere to be found. For consolation, we walked to get a waffle in our new super kawaii outfits. We ordered our waffles at a little stand, 2 waffles with Nutella. The man behind the stand responded in English to our accented French and asked where we were from. When I said the United States, he said, "Oh? Boston? Chicago?" I told him New York, and he said that he loved New York. Multiple times. He said that the girls there are very pretty. I said that I agreed. He pretty much just kept repeating that he loved New York, and while he was putting the Nutella on my waffle, he kept putting more on and asking me if I wanted more. I guess there's only so much that a Waffle Man can do to impress a girl.

After being super paranoid about eating our warm drippy chocolatey hazelnutty waffles on the street, we walked back to Reid Hall to see if the boy grew a pair. He did not. Since I had time before I had to get back for dinner, we walked to a nearby church, just for kicks. It was really pretty.

Side note: It is hard to believe that that was the first church I've been inside since I've been here. They're on like every corner, and I haven't even been inside the famous ones! I haven't even been in a museum, either. This must be remedied asap. It should happen this weekend, since it's the journées de patrimoine, which basically means that everything that's never open is open this weekend, for one time each year. Crazy long lines, but I hope we find good things to do.


I just had dinner with Elise and my host mom, since host dad was at work late. We had soup and salad, and then for cheese, we had Saint Marcelin, chèvre, conté, and Camembert, which my host mom didn't seem to fond of, since it's kind of dull. I agree.

We spent most of the dinner singing High School Musical songs that Elise knew (apparently, they only dub the dialogue in musicals, and the songs stay in English, but with French subtitles). We also played those hand clapping games, and she taught me a lot of funny songs that she knew. She is a hoot.



And now, I should probably get on the homework situation. I have to read about 20 pages of a Sarkozy address, and I have to study for my big ol' history test tomorrow. Afterward, dinner = Indian food in the 10ème arrondissement! Woot!

1 comment:

  1. Oi menina!
    I'm glad to hear that you have another Myriam in your life over there in Frenchcountry, even if it's just your ironing-lady's daughter. A life of no Miriams would be a sad life indeed.

    Let me know when you finally get yourself some heels (I see it's on your list of things you still "need"). And good luck walking in them! The women here wear them everyday, through hell and high water. I'm sticking with my flats, for now, but I'm tempted every time I go shopping.

    Have fun at the churches and museums!

    ReplyDelete