Tuesday, October 14, 2008

So cranky.

I woke up today, earlier than I would've liked. I was sort of planning to sleep until around 1 p.m., since I've been lacking on the sleep lately and have been more than a little exhausted. Also, I'm afraid of getting sick (knock on wood) since I haven't gotten sick yet, and I'm taking little precautions where I can.

I had my first real live French phone call. I wound up crying afterward. It's also been that time where I get mopey and anything can set me off, so it's not really that surprising. I called Restos du Coeur because they had left a message for me saying that they wanted to schedule an informational meeting. I called them up, and the woman said the next one would be Monday at 2:00 p.m. She asked me if that was already, and I said not really and asked when the next one would be. She said she'd just put me down for that one, and I was too flustered to say anything back. My lack of firmness and purpose in my voice plus the fact that I back down when confronted with anything that doesn't flow...

Anyway, I think I'm going to call back tomorrow in between my million classes. It's pretty non-stop from 9:30 to 20:30 tomorrow. I've got classes and some time between them, but not enough to really stop home. I may do it anyway, since I really haven't seen my host family in awhile.

After my phone call fiasco, I met up with this girl who graduated from Smith this past year. She was abroad in Paris two years ago, and she lived with my host family! We got together for coffee to discuss Paris life and our host family. She told me a bunch of fun embarassing stories, including the one about how I got the bed that I have now. She told me about how it was December and she was really stressed out. She threw herself onto the bed, and the wooden frame on the bottom cracked. So now I have a newish bed!

She seemed like a really cool person, and I'm glad we got together. She had tons of fun stories, including re-settling into Paris life. After hearing about all the paperwork she had to do, I feel a little more grateful for the steps Smith has taken to make things easier for us (though I'm still pissed at Peebster for choosing not to help me with my Spanish class situation).

After that, I rushed home, got my stuff together, and headed out for frisbee. I hadn't eaten much all day. Before I went to practice, I figured out how I could get to McDonald's. I am CRAVING comfort food, and all I wanted was a McFlurry. The whole practice, I pushed myself, knowing that the end of practice would mean a tasty, creamy, icy treat.

I was on the metro, dreaming of my ice cream, looking out the window. I looked down to the sidewalk below and, written in chalk below someone special's window, there were the words "JE T'AIME!". It made me smile out loud. Yes, yes it did.

I got off the metro and was walking to McDo, when I saw those little plastic yellow yield signs that people buy for their cars. It said "Bébé à bord!" and it made me laugh that "Baby on board" really translates.

However, after the 15 minute walk to McDo at quarter to midnight, I asked for my "MacFleurrie", and the woman replied, in English, "I am sorry, no ice!" ("glace" in French means both "ice" and "ice cream")

I could've cried right then, saying my, "C'est pas grave". It really was grave!

Anyway, it kept me going through frisbee practice, and I guess that's all that matters. Now, time for shower, cheese and bread, homework, and SLEEP before I have the longest day of my life.

Good night!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Jamie! :(
    I had a similar situation to your phone call, except mine was in person with someone from Greenpeace. And it involved me crying on the metro home. Fun times!!
    We'll have to commiserate next time we see each other which will be quand? Bientot, j'espere...
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I think ice cream is the only thing that can cure my sad. Amarino's tomorrow? I think so.

    Do we have benevolat with MBF on Friday? Because then I will surely see you! But it will be early, so I will probs be all mumbles and grumbles.

    Otherwise, I'm going to do a study tomorrow with Trevor l'irlandais. If you want to make a quick 10 euro and accompany me for a hearing study for an hour, I'm going around 1!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can she be so mean when you're trying to volunteer to help her organization?! "no, that's not a good time..."..."OK I'll put you down for that time!" Something is definitely wrong there. Maybe if you call again, someone else will answer the phone and actually help you!!

    Je t'aime!! Sometimes God shows us something that puts a smile on our face when we really need it!

    NO McFLURRY!! You poor thing. You could have really used it.

    Guess what? Dunkin'Donuts doesn't make vanilla bean coolattas anymore!

    Hope today was better for you.

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete