Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Londupdate!

Here are things that happened in London!

Friday:
- Tried to leave my house literally 2 minutes after sending in my essay that was due
- Got to the train station and realized that I left my passport at home
- Begged the train guy to let me go get it and leave on a later train, which worked
- Got to London, where Yael met me at Platform 9 3/4 (Harry Potter reference!!) in King's Cross station
- Ate dinner with Rosie and Yael in the LSE dorms
- Gave Yael a whole bag of caramel Carambars, which lasted all the way until the end of the weekend
- Made hot cocoa with LSE friends, Mike and Ruchi
- SLEPT until forever in Thanh's empty room

Saturday:
- Breakfast of a chicken burger at Borough Market, and Rosie's first time trying venison meat
- Bought a paint marker for which to give to Julia Nunes to sign my ukulele (quote from the concert - "I have a marker, and I have fists, so I'll either sign your stuff, or we can duke it out.")


I have literally walked away from this post and not updated in and 20 minutes. Bad sign. I think I might just say goodnight with the last remnants I have of the trip:
- Westminster Abbey service at 3:00 p.m., beautiful church from 1100. That's right; that's a year.
- Dinner
- JULIA NUNES CONCERT!!!
- I got there 15 minutes early, and I met this guy Dennis, who was from Southern California originally. He moved to London after only intending on spending 6 weeks in Europe, and he met his wife there. He has 3 kids, one of which came to the concert with him. They're all musical, like he is; he used to be a music wrangler kind of guy, worked his way up to producing or something, is a badass guitar player, and now runs one of/THE biggest film studios in Europe. We bonded and made our way to the front of the stage, where we watched Liam Clayton, 6 Days, and then JULIA NUNES!
- She was adorable. As per us. Also, her older sister was her roadie and did the sound check and everything. Also also, I talked to her before the show started, since Dennis re-introduced himself, since he sent an e-mail saying that he used to be in the record bizzz and he'd love to talk. SO COOL.
- She had lots of banter, which included saying that she didn't like playing "Happy Medium" all that much since it was kind of depressing. When I said "LAME!", she said, "I know, right?!" And then added that she re-discovered a part of her that liked playing it, and it was a really good performance.
- Everyone was SO responsive, and we were all singing along to most of the songs.

After the performance, I went up to her nearly at the end of the line. I told her that she was kind of the one constant from my transition from sophomore year, to summer, to Paris, and that I was very grateful to her for that. We hugged at least twice. I gave her a glass Orangina bottle and Kinder chocolates. She signed my ukulele, but she signed it on the back because I am lame and handed it to her that way. The guy playing music put on Say Anything, and we had a mini-dance party. Then, I made way for the other peeps to go through and say hi to her.

As I figured out my route home, I got everything organized. I went to say one last goodbye to her and one last hug, and I was all happy inside the whole way back to the dorm.

- Got back to the dorm and had more hot cocoa and Carambars

Sunday:
- Walking around FOREVER
- Meeting Sid at Speaker's Corner, which should really be called Shouting Alley. Did you know that you're only allowed to be on Speaker's Corner if you're 6 inches off the ground? Literally, you HAVE to be on a soapbox.
- Saw a Free Hugs guy
- Got McFlurries with Smarties
- Went to the dorm, then Rosie and I went to get fish and chips and Dr. Pepper at FISHCOTEQUE

Monday:
- Went out to eat for lunch at EAT
- Saw the London Transport Museum by myself, which was AWESOME
- Left for Paris

OKAY I'm going to go to sleep. Soon. Also, I'm going to update my list of things to do.

3 comments:

  1. Next time you visite London try to go here http://www.endclub.com/endclub
    (That's if you like underground dance music). Watch for all that junk food!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking about junk food...is there a taco bell in Paris?...miss that a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You went to Fishcoteque???? That was literally right around the corner from my flat when I lived in London. They had the best chips...really greasy...in a paper bag with salt and vinegar...for a pound.

    ReplyDelete