Friday, March 23, 2012

What I've learned this week:

New Housemate Franck uses Axe deodorant.

There's a town in Normandy called "Sassey". (Population: 163)

Afternoon bowling in Evreux on a Wednesday is absolutely hopping with teenagers. I've never seen a full bowling alley in my life, and even though this one only had 8 lanes, I'm pretty sure it still counts, since it was only 3:00 p.m.

Also, in this bowling alley, they give you a print-out of your scores at the end AND it's only 5.50 euros for two games AND shoe rental! Katie wound up beating me by 2 points, and I'm pretty sure our cumulative scores after two games were 127 and 129.

The boys in one of my classes, even though they are loud and obnoxious, really do want to learn English (well, most of them). One kid told me that he spent all summer translating Eminem lyrics into English, and the other wanted to stop learning about Bob Dylan and start listening to Earth Wind and Fire's "September".

No matter how hard you try to get kids interested in something that is not inherently related to them in some way, the majority of them will not find it interesting. The modern art museum and Bob Dylan expo was a bust, even though it got them out of school and into Paris for a full day.

Remembering events is a lot less important than thinking back on how I was feeling around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment