Thursday, March 15, 2012

Things working out.

When I woke up earlier than I anticipated this morning, I thought that it would be the perfect opportunity for me to FINALLY write the real blog entry that I promised I would. Little did I know it would turn out being exactly a month from when I originally promised I would.

And, of course, 2 seconds after I wound up finishing typing those sentences up there, Juliette came in, and I had to continue passing on my American childhood to her.

I can see already that this will need more explanation.

So, way back when, I was living with David (the Spanish cook) and Daniel (the Martiniquais car expert). A month ago though, David decided that he would move back to Spain before he anticipated, and Daniel and I were stuck thinking that we were going to have to split his part of the rent. We both didn't have the funds to cover his half of the rent, so we sought out another person to fill his room (but not his room in our hearts). This is how we got Franck.

Franck is a super good guy, and he also happens to have Juliette, his recently-turned-three year-old. She is a goofy goober. She also has never experienced such staples of an American childhood as Sesame Street and Yo Gabba Gabba, so I'm quite enjoying showing her youtube clips and watching her giggle with glee. Of course there are also moments where she is unhappy and/or yelling, but thankfully, those moments are far fewer than the giggly happy ones.

That's the big thing that happened most recently, but the other big thing that happened was going to Berlin and Sevilla for spring break! France gets two whole weeks for nearly every vacation, which means lots of exploring time. Katie and I decided to go to Berlin to see Melissa Etheridge (in fact, that's how we first met on the Asssistants in France forum when she randomly asked who wanted to go see Melissa in Berlin). It was perfect because I always wanted to see Berlin, and she always wanted to see Melissa, so it was a pretty amazing week. We did all of the obligatory and important monument sightings, but we also did several less well known gay sights, which were equally important.

Also, we can't forget the amazing aid of Kathleen, Katie's (and now, my) friend from college, who served as cultural liaison, German interpreter, photographer, good conversation, and lovely company. I'm glad that I get to know her more when we get back to the US.

Right after Berlin, we flew to Sevilla, where we were greeted by Chloe and David. We stayed in David's house with his girlfriend and his girlfriend's sister, and David had made beds that pulled out like drawers in a dresser

1 comment: