Wednesday, November 5, 2008

OBAMA OBAMA OBAMA

I can't believe I just celebrated my first election in which I could participate IN FRANCE. It was so extraordinary. I'm watching Obama's victory speech again, and I'm nearly ready to cry.

I can't believe we're finally changing in the right direction. I kept thinking to myself that no matter what happened, our country would drastically change and set a precedent that would continue on for decades. I'm so glad that we elected the right man. I have a restored faith in the American people. 338 electoral votes.


To celebrate, a group of Smithies got together to go to the official Democrats in Paris Obama Victory Party, which was supposed to have Barack O-bagels and continuing coverage of the election. However, after waiting on line for an hour, the organizers tried to get all couple hundred of us to line up in alphabetical order by last name. People started pushing and crowding, we heard glass bottles breaking, and people were uproarious about not being able to get in.

In making the best decision we could have made, the mamas of our group got us together to take the night bus at 1:00 to get to a better area to watch the election. We met up with two girls on the BU program, and we all ventured to Chatelet, walking to St. Michel to find The Frog and the Princess. Before we got there, we found a Canadian pub, broadcasting the election on TV's around the bar. We decided to stop in there, which was awesome. I even ran into a girl from Amherst on the frisbee team! Around 3:30, we finally got a table for all of us. Every so often, the club would start playing loud music to get us all awake. Being 6 hours ahead of all of the action was a hard thing. We were enthusiastic until the end though, with all of us screaming and yelling when our own states were called. There were a bunch of French people there, though we were by far an American majority.

The reports from CNN that showed that there was no possible way that McCain could win, and I regained confidence in the American public. I can't believe that we're all united (well, most of us), behind a man that has ideas that will benefit all.

When they flashed his name across the screen, the room ignited with uproarious sound. Just so much sound, and so much joy. We all ran around kissing and hugging and screaming. We went outside to leave, and it was raining. We let it fall. It felt like the dawning of a new era, and I couldn't help but think that it was an incredible omen for the washing away and renewal of spirit.

In between all of the celebration, we ran around outside the pub. Some screaming, in English and French, about the incredible event that had just come to pass. One man came up to me and said that it was incroyable. In French, he said to me that less than a century ago, Obama himself wouldn't have been able to vote, and now here he is, President of the United States.

However, he then ruined the moment by asking for my number and saying we should go out to dinner sometime. I was too emotionally content and ecstatic at the same time to do anything but laugh. Luckily, we saw from outside that McCain was about to make his speech, so we all huddled back into the pub. Listening to his speech and listening to the people who supported McCain so strongly that they couldn't even stop themselves from booing at the mention of Obama's name, I wanted to cry. I heard the underlyingly racist comments that McCain made about the nature of the election, and I was appalled at the way in which he brought up Obama's grandmother's recent death. I sincerely pray that even the McCain supporters can get behind Obama and his ideals for uniting our country. He has a big job ahead of him.

The pub owners kicked us out of the pub at 5:30 a.m., so we all ran around frantically, trying to find somewhere that was open for us to watch Obama's victory speech. We asked one cafe owner on the Boulevard St. Michel if they had a TV. When we mentioned Obama's name, he said that he was sure Obama was going to win. We didn't waste any moment to tell him that Obama had already won.

Not finding any luck, we all rushed into the nearby metro station to get home. All through the metro, we informed everyone we could about Obama's victory. Even on the street on our short walk from the metro stop to my apartment, we crossed the street in front of a truck driver, who rolled down his window and shouted "OBAMA!!!!!!!!!"

We got home to my room and watched the rest of Obama's speech online. He is such a powerful speaker. His way of moving a crowd is impressive, to say the least, and I can't wait to see how he'll rally the American people to work together for the common good.


I fell asleep around 6:30 a.m. and woke up at 11:00 to get ready for class. I saw Elise, who had already heard the news and seemed just as excited as I was. I rushed off to class, where I was greeted by none of my other classmates, who were assumedly all still asleep.

I can't wait to go back to my homeland now.

5 comments:

  1. Jamie!!

    I just saw you like 3 hours ago...I may have been a little out of it since I just woke up...
    Anyway, thank you! You are the sweetest! I'm glad it sounds like you had a good time. We bailed on the party too just after you guys did, and we went to Rachel's house where Rachel, Rebecca and I snuggled up on the couch with tea and snacks to watch French TV and the Internets. It was great! I'm so excited. Still mildly exhausted...

    A bientot,
    Abby

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only thing that spoils this is fuckin prop 8.

    California isn't cool anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know, it's really shitty. But I feel like he'll fight for civil unions. I don't want to think about Prop 8. Yeah, and THREE states had it passed.

    I still have hope. It's not like I'm going to try to get married anytime soon, anyway. Also, it made me think of my Studies of Women and Gender class, where we discussed whether gay marriage really was where we needed to be fueling our energy, or if there were other movements that would better benefit, since marriage really is such an historically degrading tradition.

    Personally, I'd rather stop seeing all of the abortion clinics disappear and more options for gay couples to adopt.

    Any thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The right for homosexuals to get married and adopt children? Yes. Why? Because personally i believe that all humans should have equal rights no matter who you are or what you believe in, plus there are many poor homeless children throughout the world that need to be taken care of, one way or another. There is no socialogical or scientific proof that children suffer from being raised by homosexual couples...
    I doubt that president Obama turns the U.S. into Holland but at least we're safer as far as far as our civil rights are concerned. He's young, modern, intelligent and has wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You write like a poet. The imagery is beautiful, but I'm sure it helps that I already feel emotional about Obama's win.

    Way to celebrate in another country!! Represent!

    ReplyDelete