Friday, August 26, 2011

Answers of sorts?

I have answers, and although they are not very helpful in terms of making me better, they are quite interesting (and one is supremely happy-making)!

1. I don't have Lyme. Wait, maybe I do.
They tested for Lyme, and it came back negative. But then, for reasons unclear to both me and my doctor, they did a CONFIRMATORY test for Lyme, which came back positive. We are both not sure what this means, but my doc threw some more amoxicillin at me, claiming that it's better to shock whatever is doing this out of my system now, rather than wait and see what happens if we let it go. She says it might have something to do with the fact that I had been on antibiotics when I got my bloodwork done, or that maybe my thyroid disease was interfering? It does seem strange to me to get a false positive, when I would assume that more likely than not, bloodwork results in false negatives (any input on this, dear readers, would be greatly appreciated!).

2. My immune system is slightly compromised
No surprises there. My immunoglobulin level is at 638, which was under the minimum normal level of 700, but not low enough to be concerning. Just means that I get sick more than other people and take longer to recover. No surprises here!

3. NO MORE HPV.
I am so happy! Over three years of dealing with worries and concerns of keeping safe, on my own part and on the part of others, and I can finally rest easy for a little bit. Life is good.

Now, I'm off to Shop Rite to help my mom stock up on provisions for the impending hurricane. Hope everyone is keeping safe and getting prepared!

Tropical Depression Eight

2 comments:

  1. As a current public health student, re: the Lyme test: for first-line screening tests (e.g. the oral HIV test), you usually want a higher false positive rate than a false negative rate, so that you minimize the number of missed people who actually have the disease. For HIV at least, the counseling even tells you that even if you test positive, you may not have HIV. If you get an initial positive test, you have to get more complex and expensive blood test. The second-line test usually has a higher false negative rate than false positive rate, and for HIV you have to get the second test twice if it comes back negative the first time, just in case. I don't know the specifics of Lyme, however, but don't freak out if your first test was positive if your doctor says that may not actually mean you have Lyme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, you are fantastic. That does make a lot of sense, and I'm nearly done with this round of antibiotics, so if I did happen to have Lyme or something else, hopefully this will have knocked it out of my system.

    Hope you're doing well, love! Heading back to our old stomping grounds in two weeks, so let me know if there's anything Parisian you'd like me to send your way. =)

    ReplyDelete